Grace Stevens Shares her Recipe for Sticky Hot Cross Buns
Here is an Easter favourite that everyone will love and these Sticky Hot Cross Buns are a great way to get the kids involved in baking for Easter.
Easter is a special time where we take enjoyment in surrounding ourselves with family, friends, and neighbours all gathered to enjoy a delicious spread while sharing memories around a dining table overflowing with soul-nourishing foods. The spicy aroma of hot cross buns fresh from the oven and the happy squeals of children rushing around the garden in search of hidden chocolate treats. Grace Stevens shares her recipe for sticky hot cross buns that will be a treat for everyone!
YOU WILL NEED:
750 ml white bread flour
1 sachet instant yeast
5 ml salt
80 ml castor sugar
300 ml milk
1 large egg
60 g soft butter
10 ml ground cinnamon
5 ml ground mixed spice
3 ml ground cloves
200 g fruit cake mix
250 ml flour
25 ml castor sugar
150 ml water
60 ml milk
60 ml castor sugar
- Place flour, sugar, salt and butter into a large mixing bowl
- Add spices and fruit cake mix, combine. Pour yeast into milk, add egg and mix well. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture. Mix well and turn out onto a floured work surface.
- Knead until dough is silky. The raisins will go everywhere, this is totally normal.
- Leave in a large glass bowl for 45 Minutes to double in size. Cover with a towel or cling film.
- Turn out the dough onto a clean surface and knead for a minute. Divide into 16 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a round bread roll and place onto a greased baking sheet, leaving some space in between for the buns to rise.
- Cover with a dish towel and leave to rise for 30 Minutes. Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Mix crosses ingredients and pour sticky mixture into a zip lock bag or a piping bag.
- Snip the corner of the zip lock bag or piping bag and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Place buns into the oven and reduce the temperature to 180ºC. Bake for 25 Minutes, until buns are golden on the top and sound hollow when tapped.
- Combine the glaze ingredients and heat in the microwave for 2 Minutes, stirring every 30 seconds to prevent boiling over.
- Brush glaze over the buns and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with butter, cheese or jam