Eggs Benedict and Hollandaise sauce
Give your breakfasts a new twist with this Eggs Benedict and Hollandaise sauce recipe from Chef Tharwat Londt.
Tharwat Londt, Executive Chef at Park Inn by Radisson in Cape Town, shares with us his recipe for Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise sauce. This is one recipe that is sure to give a new twist to your breakfast menu and we invite you to try out this delicious breakfast recipe in the comfort of your own home!
This recipe serves 2.
YOU WILL NEED:
For the smoked salmon benedict -
Some smoked salmon
Fresh wild rocket
2 eggs, the freshest eggs possible
For the Hollandaise sauce -
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon cold water
120g butter, melted and clarified
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
To make the Hollandaise sauce
• Use a medium-sized bowl placed over the top of a large saucepan to simmer in 5 centimetres of water.
• Whisk egg yolks into 1 tablespoon of cold water, add salt to taste and whisk until warm to touch. Slowly drizzle in half the melted or clarified butter in a thin stream while continuing to whisk constantly until all ingredients are incorporated and it becomes thick and emulsified and then add the lemon juice.
GOOD TO KNOW: For a béarnaise sauce, substitute white wine vinegar instead of lemon juice and add chopped fresh tarragon.
To make the eggs benedict
• Fill a medium-sized pan with 10 centimetres of water and bring to the boil before reducing to a gentle simmer.
• Add a tablespoon of spirit vinegar. This helps the egg white to coagulate hold a perfect egg shape.
GOOD TO KNOW: For a perfectly shaped poached egg, first crack your eggs into a ramekin. This makes it easier to drop them into the water.
• Stir the water with a wooden spoon to create a vortex and the quickly but gently drop the eggs in to the centre of the whirlpool. This will help them to form a jacket and hold the shape. Leave to poach as preferred, about 3 ½ minutes for soft poached.
• In the meantime, slice the muffin and place on a plate. Dress with fresh rocket and salmon.
• When the eggs are poached, use a slotted spoon to gently lift them out of the water. Allow any excess water to drain off and place the egg on top of the muffin.
Top with hollandaise sauce and season to taste. Enjoy!