Edible Gifts: Gingerbread Cookies
Gingerbread men are a great way for the family to get together to make edible gifts for family and friends, and everyone can have fun baking and decorating!
The entire family can get together to make these adorable gingerbread cookies and it's a fun activity for all ages. Start a family tradition and let the kids help with rolling out the dough and pressing out the shapes. Our thanks to Le Creuset for sharing this recipe.
YOU WILL NEED:
2/3 cup golden syrup
½ cup treacle sugar
2 egg whites
375g plain flour
300g icing sugar
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. mixed spice
1 tbsp. ground ginger
Food colouring, for decoration
1. Combine the butter and treacle sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer. Mix for 6 to 8 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl until the mixture becomes pale and creamy.
2. Add the golden syrup, flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and spices and beat until the mixture comes together to form a smooth dough.
3. Roll out between two sheets of non-stick baking paper to 4mm thick. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
4. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
5. To make the gingerbread men, press the mixture flat to cut out the cookie shapes. Place on a baking sheet and pop into the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool slightly on the tray before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
6. Using an electric beater, whisk the egg whites until slightly frothy. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating continually, until a stiff icing forms. Divide into different bowls and stir in food colouring. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle and decorate the gingerbread men.