Reasons to Choose an EPDM Roof
There are various roofing materials available, however, for the sake of this article, we will be talking exclusively about EPDM as a roofing material.
Our roof is ones of the most important aspects of our house’s physical infrastructure, yet its care and maintenance is grossly overlooked. A well-maintained and good quality choice of roofing material can last you longer than 20 years. However, most of us end up dealing with our roofs being damaged and requiring different kinds of maintenance work within the first 10 years, and if you are not careful at all, then you can end up having to get your roof replaced really early on as well, which is both very expensive and incredibly inconveniencing.
While we will be talking about the material for your roof, it is also really important that you pay attention to maintenance as well. You should ideally have your roof inspected by roofing experts after every 2-3 years, and if you happen to live in an area where there are frequent hailstorms and heavy rainstorms, you should get your roof inspected annually just to make sure there is no damage to your roof.
There are a number of different kinds of roofing materials available, however, for the sake of this article, we will be talking exclusively about EPDM as a choice of roof material. EPDM (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer) is a roofing membrane that is made of synthetic rubber. EPDM roofs happen to be a really popular choice in roofing throughout the world, and in case you want to get it done for your roof, then you should find a reliable company that offers services in commercial roof replacement in Aurora with EPDM roofing. If you are still unsure, we have compiled a list of reasons why you should opt for EPDM roofing below:
• EPDM is a material that naturally high emissivity. This means that the material is able to reflect the heat energy it receives from the sun back to the atmosphere, so heat naturally bounces off of it. This ends up making EPDM roofing extremely energy efficient for any kind of building, so your energy costs are brought down, and compared to other roofing systems, you can end up saving up 25% in energy costs. This is a really great way for you to save money that would have otherwise gone into your electricity bill to keep your house cooler. Some EPDM roofs even come equipped with special coatings that help to increase your house’s overall energy performance as well.
• EPDM roofing systems happen to have a long enough history and a proven track record as a testament to their performance. They first started appearing on the scene during the 1960s, and soon became to be known for their reliability, weather resistance features, and overall good durability. Their many features include thermal shock durability and flexibility during low temperatures as well. A good EPDM roof can last up to 50 years when taken care of properly, so it makes for a great long-term investment.
• They are really simple and quick to install since it comes in one piece. Plus, they also do not require any heat, rather your contractor just has to use a cold-adhesive to stick it in place. So, the entire installation process is quick and seamless when it comes to these roofs.
• Given how EPDM is made of synthetic rubber, it is actually really good for repelling any water or moisture from seeping in. Plus, good quality, thick EPDM roofing systems are able to resist punctures and leaks as well.
• EPDM roofing is actually very environmentally friendly because once it has worn down and needs to be replaced, the entire roofing can be recycled properly.
• EPDM does not actually change its properties or characteristics within the first 30 years of its use, even while it is exposed to different kinds of weather conditions. This makes them great for areas that are usually exposed to all kinds of harsh weather conditions throughout the year. This is a very unique material in terms of its range to deal with different kinds of environmental conditions since it can easily handle fluctuations in temperature, harmful UV rays, heavy rains, and even hailstorms. Even if your EPDM roof does sustain any kind of damage or issues, the cost to get it fixed and to extend your roof’s life is still relatively cheap.
EPDM roofing systems can be a great choice
for your property, and if you are proactive
about its maintenance and overall care, then it
can seriously make for a worthwhile investment.
You can always talk to roof contractors and
other experts on the matter to make sure that
you are fully educated on the subject before you
make your decision. Plus, you can call in
experts and have them take the necessary
measures and give you an estimate on the price
if you want to be clearer on the costs of
getting an EPDM roofing system installed.