Quick Project: Easy pebble stepping stones
Make some plain concrete or ready-made stepping stones and transform them with pebbles.
These pebble stepping stones will add something unique to a garden small and are easy to make. All you need is to make some plain concrete stepping stones, or buy ready-made concrete pavers, and add some colourful pebbles.
YOU WILL NEED:
Round concrete stepping stones or pavers
Scrap pieces of plywood
Heavy-duty tile adhesive.
Plastic bowl for mixing
1. Use your concrete pavers or stepping stones to draw an outline of the size on a piece of plywood. Select the nicest pebbles and lay these out to fill up the outline. Pick the prettiest and flattest pebbles and fit them together like a jigsaw puzzle.
2. Pop on your gloves to mix up a batch of cement. You want a mixture that is not too soft but easy enough to work with.
3. Apply a layer of cement mix to the top of your concrete pavers and start transferring the design across, making sure to press the pebbles firmly into the cement mix. Work quickly so that the cement mix does not have time to start getting stiff.
4. Use the piece of plywood to press down and make sure the pebble surface is nice and flat.
GOOD TO KNOW: If there are any gaps in the surrounding cement mix, use the trowel to add a bit more and then flatten again.
5. Before the cement mix dries, use a damp sponge to remove any excess cement mix. Rinse the sponge frequently and repeat until the top of the stepping stone is fairly clean.
6. The last step is to cover the stepping stone with plastic or a plastic bag to help with the cement curing process. Leave it in the bag for about 2 to 3 days before putting outdoors. Allow around 14 days for complete cure before walking on the stepping stone.