Attract birds to your garden
I love to sit in the garden and watch the bird life. Adding a birdhouse is a wonderful way to attract regular visitors to your garden, and this birdhouse is easy to make.
YOU WILL NEED:
2 of 140 x 250mm pine - sides
1 of 140 x 200mm pine - front
1 of 140 x 350mm pine - back
1 of 140 x 210mm pine - top
1 of 100 x 140mm pine - base
Galvanised nails or 35mm screws
Linseed oil or spray paint to finish
Drill / Driver plus assorted bits
25mm spade bit
1. Cut all the pieces from a single 140mm wide plank (1800mm length).
2. On the sides mark one edge at 200mm and draw a line. Cut out to make the angled sides.
3. Cut a 30-degree angle on the front section at the top.
4. Drill a 25mm hole in the front section with a spade bit.
TOP TIP: To prevent splitting the pine at the back, place the front on a scrap piece of pine to drill out with a spade bit.
5. Nail or screw the side panels to the base. Attach the back and front panels in the same way.
GOOD TO KNOW: Work easy by using a workbench.
6. If you want to be able to open the roof flap, secure in place with a flexible piece of leather, rubber or vinyl. If you don't need the flap to open, secure with nails or screws through the roof into the sides.
7. Finish off with a coat of linseed oil to protect your birdhouse from the elements, or add colour with Rust-Oleum 2X spray paint in your choice of colour.