Colourful storage cubes
Here's an easy way to make colourful storage cubes using some PAR pine, a few tools and some Rust-Oleum 2X spray paint. You can stack up the storage cubes to make a colourful display that would look great in a child's bedroom or playroom.
Each storage cube measures 350mm high x 350mm wide x 305mm deep and you can buy everything you need for this project at your local Builders Warehouse.
YOU WILL NEED:
1 sheet of 305 x 1800mm laminated pine, cut to:
- 4 of 350 x 350mm sections
40mm panel pins
120- and 240-grit sandpaper
Rust-Oleum 2X spray paint i your choice of colours
Handsaw or jigsaw
1. Using the edge of one piece draw a line across both ends of all the sections. This will ensure you get the correct width when cutting the simple dove joints.
2. Where marked, divide into seven equal segments of 40mm wide and mark. Pencil an 'X' on alternate segments (tails) and 'Y' on the opposing segments (sockets).
3. Firmly clamp each piece to a workbench and use a handsaw or jigsaw to cut the segments marked 'X' and 'Y' on all pieces.
4. Remove alternating segments with a sharp chisel. If you own a Dremel MultiMax you can use a wood cut attachment to easily remove the segments.
5. Use sandpaper to tidy the cut edges after cutting and then join the matching pieces at right angles to form a cube. Use wood glue when joining the sections.
6. Fill any gaps with wood filler and then hammer in a couple of 40mm panel nails to properly secure the joints.
7. Sand away any rough edges and sand smooth. Wipe clean to remove all traces of dust.
Once you have a basic cube you can add components to create custom storage cubes.
Storage cube with shelf
Make a cube as shown above. Add a shelf using wood glue and panel pins.
Storage cube with diagonal shelves
Make a cube as shown above. Measure and cut two pieces of pine equivalent to the length of the diagonals (measurement from corner to corner). Cut a double mitre at the end of each piece. Mark and cut out a half joint on the two pieces and slot these together. Push the joined section into the storage cube. It should stay in place on its own but you can hammer in a few panel pins if required. Find instructions here for a half joint.
Storage cube with full or half drawer
You can easily make up a full or half drawer to slide in and out of the storage cube, with or without drawer runners.
Finish off your storage cube by painting in your choice of colour. Rust-Oleum 2X comes in a wide selection of colours and is available at your local Builders store.