Plywood desk for child's study area
This marine plywood desk is super easy to make and can be done in a day. Dress up a child's bedroom with a compact and practical desk. Mount recycled paint cans spray painted in bold Rust-Oleum spray paint colours for storage or display.
YOU WILL NEED:
2 of 600 x 1200mm 16mm marine plywood - top
2 of 100 x 384mm 16mm marine plywood - small desk divider
2 of 100 x 584mm 16mm marine plywood - large desk divider
1 of 100 x 1200mm 16mm marine plywood - desk back
2 of 500 x 620mm 16mm marine plywood - legs
1 of 150 x 1000mm 16mm marine plywood - base support
Pattex No More Nails exterior adhesive
12 steel corner brackets and 12 or 13mm screws
Drill / Driver and assorted bits
Quick clamps 
The design of this plywood desk is simple and easy to assemble if you have all the pieces cut to size at your local timber merchant.
Marine plywood is not like commercial plywood - it has a much nicer finish. Some suppliers offer a meranti or birch veneer, so ask beforehand when ordering. Take the time to sand all the pieces smooth using 240-grit sandpaper before assembly. If you plan of painting or spraying sections other than the top - do this before you start assembling the pieces.
1. Using Pattex No More Nails exterior adhesive allows you to glue together the interior sections with using screws and is perfect for those projects where you don't want visible screws on the outside, but don't have special tools such as a biscuit joiner or pockethole jig. The bond is extremely strong and dries quickly, so you don't have to wait too long to continue with the project. Glue the dividers onto the base and leave for about an hour.
2. Apply a bead of Pattex No More Nails exterior to the top of all the dividers and back and position the top in place. Use clamps to secure these sections together and leave overnight.
3. In the meantime you can cut the plywood sections for the base. Measure out and mark the shape for the legs and then cut these out with a jigsaw.
4. Fit the base support into the slots in each leg so that a 100mm section protrudes at each end.
5. Secure the base to the desk using steel corner brackets and 12 or 13mm screws.
Choose your favourite Rust-Oleum 2X spray paint colour for the top of the desk. You can also use Rust-Oleum spray paint to transform aluminium or plastic paint cans into colourful storage containers.