How to make a DIY 4-poster bed
Making a 4-poster bed is not as difficult as it seems at first glance. If you consider that a 4-poster bed is simply a timber frame assembled with basic woodworking techniques and a few power tools. Here's how simple it is to make a 4-poster bed.
To make a 4-poster bed you can use pine, meranti or any other timber for that matter. Obviously hardwood and exotic timber will be far more costly than pine or meranti, but will also be a treasured piece that can be handed down or passed along.
If you are going to use pine to make a 4-poster bed, choose only the best pieces. 76 x 76mm PAR pine posts should be straight and free of knots or heartwood. Laminated pine sections should be properly kiln dried and not warped, also free of knots or heartwood.
How to make a 4-poster bed:
1. Measure the size of your mattress - or determine the size of the bed you want. With this measurement you can then cut the headboard footboard to the size of the mattress or bed size.
2. Both the headboard and footboard are attached to the upright support posts. Don't work with anything less than 76 x 76mm for the posts. To join the boards to the bed you can use biscuit joints, dowel joints or using a pockethole jig, the latter being the most visible jointing method.
3. The next step would be to attach the side panels. Again, the side panels can be attached with biscuit joints, dowel joints or using a pockethole jig.
4. To finish off the basic frame, attach the top rails in the same way.
5. There are a couple of options for mounting the base, or ,mattress support. You can choose from slats or have a solid base. To fit both slats or solid base, screw side supports onto the inside of both side frames.
It really is as easy as that.
Points to take into consideration:
- Timber should be good quality and without defects
- Measure twice and cut once
- Consider height of ceiling and any ceiling lights or fittings
- Assemble the bed in sections to fit into the room
- Sand, stain and seal with Woodoc 5 or 10 to beautify, nourish and protect