Easy woodworking project for beginner DIY enthusiast
I noticed this project on Popular Woodworking and while it's a very simple woodworking projects, the finished result is great. You can use the modular unit as a wine rack, as a free-standing or wall-mounted bookshelf, for storage or as a display shelf.
I stumbled across this project on Popular Woodworking, and while it's a very simple woodworking project, the finished result is great. You can use the modular unit as a wine rack, as a free-standing or wall-mounted bookshelf, for storage or as a display shelf. It’s also among the common wood projects that sell, so if you want to earn through woodworking, you might want to start with this piece.
YOU WILL NEED:
6 of 305 x 305mm pine - top / bottom
6 of 286 x 305mm pine - sides
1 of 305 x 305mm pine - shelf
Jigsaw and clean-cut blade
2 quick clamps
Damp cloth or rag
Orbital sander plus 120- and 240-grit sandpaper
1. Apply a bead of wood glue to the edges of the side sections and then position between the top and bottom and clamp in place.
GOOD TO KNOW
For easy clamping use Tork Craft quick clamps. These are affordable enough to buy a couple at your local Builders store, and if you buy the extra long clamps they will come in handy for a variety of projects that require clamping.
2. Before tightening the clamps fully, use a rubber mallet if necessary to ensure the sections are neatly aligned.
3. Use a damp cloth or rag to wipe away any excess wood glue that oozes out. If you plan to stain the pine boxes the glue will spoil the finish.
4. For mounting the shelf, measure and mark from the height and then measure the length across (between the two marks). Add 38mm (2 x 19mm for the thickness of the pine) to this measurement and mark on the remaining piece of pine for the shelf.
5. The edges for the shelf are cut at a 45-degrees bevel. You can do this if your jigsaw has an adjustable base plate.
You can leave as is and apply Woodoc Antique Wax, stain with Woodoc Gel Stain, or use one of the Woodoc range of interior sealers for clear or tinted finish.