Easy Way to Paint a Fireplace
Painting a brick fireplace is easy if you follow the simple steps in this feature.
It's amazing the difference painting a fireplace can make to a room. While there are some that like the natural beauty of face brick, if you want to give your fireplace a makeover, grab all the materials and supplies you need at your local Builders Warehouse and Prominent Paints store.
1. The first step will be to mask off the surrounding areas with painter's tape. This will ensure that you don't get splashes and spills on the fireplace surround. Also put down a drop cloth to protect flooring.
2. Use a stiff bristle brush to clean the brick and mortar and remove any loose debris, dust and dirt.
3. After brushing down, use a heavy degreaser to remove any traces of silt and soot, as these will prevent the primer from adhering properly to the brick. Use a soft scrubbing brush to apply the degreaser and then wipe off with rags and clean water. Allow to dry.
GOOD TO KNOW: Proper, intensive cleaning of the brick is essential prior to painting.
4. Depending on the condition of the bricks you may need to apply a specialist primer where bricks are soft and crumbly. The guys at Prominent Paints will be able to advise on the best product for application as a primer coat, depending on your particular situation.
GOOD TO KNOW: It might be a good idea to take a close-up pic of the brick work and take it along with you when you go to buy paint and supplies.
5. After allowing the primer to dry for the specified time, you can paint over the primer with your choice of matt, satin or sheen paint. Follow the recommended guidelines for proper application and drying time between coats.