Quick Project: Door corner shelf
Turn a worn-out door into a unique feature for your living room. In just seven easy steps, courtesy of Builders, you can transform any old, solid door and give it a second life.
Turn an old door into a shelving space on which to store all your favourite ornaments, family portraits and curated collections. You can even turn it into a beautiful area where you could hang your favourite coats after a night on the town. Use your imagination - the sky is the limit.
YOU WILL NEED:
Old solid door
Acrylic paint in matt, sheen or gloss
Steel 'L' brackets  and 16mm screws
Shelves and brackets plus 16mm screws
Drill / Driver and assorted bits
Jigsaw or circular saw
Orbital sander plus 120-grit sanding pads
Tape measure and pencil
1. Use a jigsaw or mitre saw to cut the door in half. Use the measuring tape to measure twice to ensure that you cut accurately.
2. Sand with 120-grit sandpaper before painting the panels, as well as the shelves.
3. Stand upright or on a flat surface and position the two door panels at a 90-degree angle. Secure the 'L' brackets along the back. You will need two people to do this – one to hold the panels and one to screw the brackets in.
4. Measure and mark where you want to place your shelves and screw the brackets in place and then the shelves.
5. If you are using an old door with an existing doorknob, you can replace it with something more decorative and re-attach this for decorative effect.
GOOD TO KNOW: Remove the doorknob on the side that will sit against the wall so that it’s flush with the wall.
Now you can place the shelf unit n the corner of your living room and add your final personal touches. Just like that, you will have a brand new striking feature in your living room. With a little bit of inspiration, a few great ideas, all your tools and materials from Builders, and a large dose of eagerness, it’s so easy.