How to Make a Zebra Rug
Non-fraying felt makes this project a cinch, and the zebra motif will have your family and friends demanding where you found it. It's so simple you can adjust the technique to make a rug in just about any size or style.
YOU WILL NEED:
Zebra rug template (below - copy onto pattern paper or a large sheet of paper)
Make the pattern
1. Using the zebra rug template, draw the zebra rug pattern onto pattern paper. Draw a 5cm border around the edges and cut out the template around the outer edges.
Cut out the pieces
2. Fold the black felt in half lengthwise and lay it on the floor. You will need to use a large cutting board or scrap of wood to protect your surfaces. Lay the template on the felt with the template straight edge even with the fold in the fabric. Following the line use an Olfa rotary cutting wheel to cut out the design.
Assemble the rug
3. Lay the cream felt out flat on the floor. Unfold the black felt piece and lay it flat on top of the cream felt. Pin in place.
4. Cut the cream layer to the same size as the outer edge of the black felt. Glue the layers together with fabric glue and let the glue dry.
5. Place the rug over the cream felt again and cut out another layer. Glue the layers together with fabric glue and let dry.