Make a wine cork trivet
Recycle your wine corks into a trivet for your dining room table - for all your hot dishes.
YOU WILL NEED:
31 wine corks (all the same height)
Dremel hot glue gun & glue sticks
Sharp serrated kitchen knife
1. Cut each wine cork in half with the kitchen knife. Try to cut as close to the middle as possible, so each will be the same height.
2. Sand the rough edges smooth and even out the height, if necessary.
3. Arrange the wine corks in your desired pattern.
4. Flip all the corks over, then start by gluing the centre line together. A thin line of glue along the side is sufficient.
5. Then glue more corks - one by one - onto that centre line until they are all glued together.
6. Start gluing the ribbon to the outside edge of the trivet. Squeeze a thin line of glue between each cork - one at a time - and then press the ribbon into the crevice. Let the last line of glue cool a bit before gluing the next (so you can pull the ribbon tight).
7. When you reach the end, trim the ribbon, apply the final line of glue, and press the end into the crevice.
8. Pick off the inevitable hot glue strands, let it cool, and you’re done.