Make your own giant pavement chalk
Kids can have hours on fun with this giant pavement chalk. They can use on a concrete patio or driveway, out on the pavement in a safe area, or buy a can of Rust-Oleum Chalkboard Spray and paint a section of wall, or board, for mounting to a wall, where the kids can play.
YOU WILL NEED:
Tempera powder paint in primary colours
Plaster of Paris (at hardware stores, craft and hobby shops)
Wrapping Paper Tubes
Ziploc bags or piping bags
Optional: Rust-Oleum Chalkboard spray
Find all the supplies you need for this project at your local Builders Warehouse.
1. Cut the tubes to a length of about 10 centimetres. Line inside the tubes with a piece of wax paper and then tape the base closed with masking tape.
2. For each colour mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of powder paint with half a cup of water. Slowly stir in the plaster of paris until nice and smooth. The mixture should be not too runny - slightly thick.
3. Spoon into a ziploc or piping bag and snip away the corner.
4. Use a bowl to support the tubes while you squeeze the mixture into the tubes.
GOOD TO KNOW:
You can mix the various primary colours to make more colours.
5. Allow the mix to set in a warm, dry place for 24 hours and then gently peel away the tube and wax wrapping.