Here's a fun way to welcome Spring into your home with this wall decor designed by Elle Franco in collaboration with Decorex.
Welcome Spring into your home with this pretty wall decor designed by Elle Franco in collaboration with Decorex. You can buy everything you need for this project at Builders Warehouse.
YOU WILL NEED:
3 of 19 x 67 or 94mm wide PAR pine or pine plywood cut to 500mm lengths
Offcut of 3mm Masonite approx. 250 x 300mm
Hose clamp, to fit jar
Glass jar - recycle a glass food jar
Stencils and masking tape
Fine sanding sponge
Fired Earth chalk paint, white, and paintbrush
Fired Earth dark wax and rags
Rust-Oleum Chalked or 2X spray paint in your choice of colour
Drill / Driver plus assorted bits
Sander plus 120- and 180-grit sanding pads
Tape measure and pencil
1. Sand and paint your pieces before you assemble.
2. Elle used pure white chalk paint to paint the pine. This is the perfect canvas for applying the dark wax later on and will help create the distressed effect. Allow each coat of paint to dry before applying the next coat.
3. You can also apply chalk paint to your glass jar. For the distressed effect shown here, apply two colours, layering the colours over Earth other and then lightly sand back areas of the jar with a sanding sponge.
4. Apply Fired Earth dark wax over the paint finish to achieve the distressed effect shown here.
5. With the boards face-down, secure the Masonite backing with 16mm screws.
6. Place the stencil where you want them and tape off the surrounding with masking tape. Lightly spray with Rust-Oleum Chalked or 2X spray paint and let dry. Remove the masking tape and stencil once completely dry.
7. Position and screw the clamp to the boards with a 16mm screw. Place your glass jar inside and tighten. Now you are ready to pop in some freshly cut Spring flowers from the garden.
GOOD TO KNOW: To hang on a wall, secure a picture hanger at the back of the boards.