How to sew your own rope baskets
Baskets are a lifesaver for storage but they can also be pricey, so we've included a tutorial on how to make your own rope baskets.
You can buy assorted ropes at your local Builders Warehouse and you might want to take a look at sash cord the next time you go shopping. Sash cord comes in both 5mm and 7mm thickness, and in lengths of 10 metres at R36 and 30 metres from around R105. That means you can make a large basket at a quarter of the cost it would be to buy a ready made basket.
YOU WILL NEED:
Scraps of fabric cut into strips
Scraps of ribbon
1. Coil the rope tightly and pin in place while you sew across the beginning of the coil with a zig-zag stitch. Go forward and reverse a couple of times.
2. Repeat this as shown below.
3. Now you can start making the coil larger, using a zig-zag stitch to secure as you expand the coil shape for the base of the basket. You will use zig-zag stitches to secure the cord for the entire basket.
4. As you work you can start adding fabric scraps or ribbon to the cord. Wrap the fabric or ribbon around the cord and then sew in place with zig-zag stitches.
5. Continue to coil the cord, adding fabric scraps or ribbon.
6. When the coil gets too large for under the machine, you will need to take it out to sew from the side, especially when you start to form the sides for your basket.
7. As you add more cord you will see that basket starting to take shape.
8. Continue to add cord, sewing with a zig-zag stitch.
GOOD TO KNOW: If you need to join sash cord, wrap it with a scrap of fabric and zig-zag to the coiled cord.
9. Continue adding cord and sewing in place with a zig-zag stitch until you reach the desired size.
10. When you reach the end, wrap the end of the cord with a scrap of fabric sew with a zig-zag, reversing a couple of times.
GOOD TO KNOW: Choose a nice piece of fabric or pleather to end the coiled rope basket.
There are plenty of options for making your own rope baskets and you can see a selection of rope baskets below to inpire your own project.