Use Air-Dry Clay to make Decorative Clay Vases
Air-dry clay is inexpensive, easy to work with and you can use it to make a variety of decor accessories, including these decorative vases.
I always have a packet or two of air-dry modelling clay in my workshop, for whenever the mood takes me and I feel like crafting with air-dry clay. I usually buy Jovi air-dry clay at Builders and it only costs around R60 for a 500g packet and you can make quite a lot of things with that amount.
For this project, you can make a decorative vase for fresh or dried flower arrangements. The air-dry clay is moulded around a drinking glass, so think about the size of the glass you want as this will give you the vase size.
YOU WILL NEED:
Card paper stock
Utility or craft knife
Roller or rolling pin
Decorative stamps or assorted items to press your designs
Spray N Cook, or similar
1. The first thing you need to do is to make a template of the glass. This will allow you to cut out the correct amount of air-dry clay to fit around the glass. Add an extra 10mm to the edge of the template to allow for folding over and sealing the edge.
2. Roll out your clay to a thickness of about 3 to 4mm. If you make it too thin it will easily crack. Place the template over the rolled out clay and cut out the shape to cover the glass.
3. You can use all types of items to press designs onto the surface of your clay. If you already have a stencil, use this, or look around the house for items you can use to apply designs.
4. Spray the glass with Spray N Cook or something similar that will prevent the clay from sticking to the glass and then wrap the stamped clay around the glass.
5. You will want something to press down along the edge of the clay to seal the joint.
6. Now you can carefully remove the glass. You need to do this so that the clay can harden properly.
7. Place the clay shape in a cool dry area and leave for 2 to 3 days. The clay will start to lighten as it dries, so keep checking to see when it is completely dry.
8. Once the clay is dry, pop the glass back in if you plan to use the vase for fresh flowers.
There are plenty of other ways to use air-dry clay to craft unique decorative items for the home, and you will find plenty of ideas in our Craft section or on Pinterest.