DIY decorative tree towel hanger
If you need extra storage in a small bathroom, this towel tree is perfect for hanging towels and the branches can be folded flat when not in use. Everyone in the family can have their own branch!
YOU WILL NEED:
Dremel Moto-Saw + Side Cutting Blade + Metal-Cutting Blade
6mm plywood or SupaWood
2 (or more) angle brackets, small screws and wall plugs
Drill/Driver + masonry bit for wall plugs
Dremel MultiTool + 150 Drill Bit
Safety glasses (when cutting metal sheet)
1. Start off by painting the trunk of your tree on a wall using Plascon Velvaglo. You can make the towel rail tree as tall as you like, ours is 1.8 metres high.
2. Print out the template for the branches. Use sprayable adhesive to mount the template onto a piece of board. Use a Dremel Moto-Saw and the Side Cutting Blade to cut along the lines of the template. Set the tool at speed setting 6 and simply guide the tool gently along the template.
GOOD TO KNOW
You may find it easier to clamp the board to your workbench and cut the piece using the Moto-Saw in the handheld position.
3. If you struggle to cut tight corners, drill small pilot holes where the leaves meet the branches. Insert a 150 Drill Bit in your Dremel Rotary Tool, set the tool to high speed and lightly plunge down into your work piece.
4. After cutting out all the sections, lightly sand the edges with 180-grit sandpaper before painting with Plascon Velvaglo. Paint the front, edges and back of the board to prevent moisture absorption.
5. To mount the towel branches onto the wall, use small wall plugs and screws to attach with angle brackets.
GOOD TO KNOW
Before drilling into walls, use an electronic detector to ensure there are no electrical or plumbing conduits in the wall.
6. To add a decorative touch, use the Dremel Moto-Saw with the Metal-Cutting Blade to cut out leaf overlays. We recommend placing a piece of cardboard underneath your material when cutting metal. This helps you to achieve a more precise cut by absorbing excess vibration. Nail the leaves into place with small panel pins and you're done!