Print Friendly and PDF

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Are Essential for Your Property – Here’s Why

Protect yourself, your family, and your co-workers from carbon monoxide poisoning.

28/08/2018

 

When hearing the words “carbon monoxide poisoning”, some people may picture a scene from a true crime show with a running car locked in a smoky, dimly lit garage; few people think it is something they will ever have to deal with in real life. While many have heard warnings about the dangers of carbon monoxide, few really understand what it is or are aware of the threat it poses.

Carbon monoxide is all around us; it is produced from many common items like cars, heating systems, gas generators, stoves, and grills. At low levels, it causes no damage, but if allowed to accumulate, carbon monoxide can be deadly. Often called “the silent killer”, it is nearly impossible to detect without the aid of a monitor. It is both odourless and colourless, so you don’t know you’re breathing it in until it’s too late.

The threat is real, but with the proper equipment and precautions, you can protect yourself, your family, and your co-workers from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide detectors are key; most newer homes and offices have them, and they are easy to install in buildings that don’t. Education is also important – read below to learn the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and what you can do to prevent it.

 

CONTINUES BELOW

 

 

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In cases of early to moderate carbon monoxide poisoning, symptoms are similar to that of the flu, but without a fever. Not all symptoms are always present in every person, but if you start to experience two or more of the following, you may be experiencing the early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning:

- Headache
- Nausea
- Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
- Dizziness
- Noticeable and sudden fatigue

The symptoms of severe carbon monoxide poisoning are more extreme and make it hard to react if you are the person experiencing them. If you notice these signs in others, help them vacate the area and call the local authorities:

- Vomiting
- Extreme confusion
- Unconsciousness
- Loss of coordination
- Death

Carbon Monoxide Detectors in the Office

The most effective way to protect yourself and prevent the symptoms discussed above is through prevention. The easiest way to prevent people from suffering the symptoms is to use a carbon monoxide detector, like the ones featured on www.austdynatech.com.au.

If your office fits any of the following descriptions, or if you are unsure of where it stands, you may want to inquire about the status of carbon monoxide detectors in the building:

- The hot water tank uses propane or natural gas
- The boiler uses a fossil fuel
- Any heating devices in the building burn wood, coal, or kerosene
- The building is old
- The ventilation system is dated

Many buildings’ heating systems do run on some type of oil, wood, coal, or other fossil fuel. While most that do are probably already equipped with the proper detectors and safety equipment, it’s best not to assume.

If you are worried about carbon monoxide in your building, speak to the maintenance team or building manager.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors for the Home

Carbon monoxide is just as big of a threat in the home as it is in an office, but here you have more control over how many detectors you want to have, and where you want them to be placed. Ideally, there should be one in every area of the home.

If your home or apartment building meets any of the following categories, you should probably install some carbon monoxide detectors:

- Has a heating system that burns fossil fuels
- Has a fireplace
- Has a gas stove
- Uses a backup generator
- Has kitchen in a confined area
- Has laundry room in a confined area

Most newer homes have carbon monoxide detectors, and for those that don’t, they are as easy to install as smoke detectors. If you are unsure if your home needs them, it is best to buy some anyway.

 

 

back to top