How to make your own lampshades
Create your own instant lampshades with an old ball and some string. These string lights are perfect for a kids bedroom or teen room.
You will need:
Plastic balls of various sizes
Clear drying craft glue
Drop cloth or newspaper
Ball inflating needle (available at sporting goods stores or bike shops)
Light fixture and hardware
1. Draw a circle on the ball with a permanent marker. This circle will mark a space on the lamp that needs to remain clear of string. The empty circle will be used in assembling the light fixture and will allow you to have access for changing light bulbs. If the light fixture you are using has lamp shades, make sure that the circles are big enough for the shades to easily pass through.
2. Cover your work surface with a drop cloth, and put on gloves (this gets messy).
3. The best way to apply the glue is to squeeze a small amount onto your fingers and run the hemp string through the glue and then wrap it around the ball. The string should stick fairly easily to the ball.
4. Glue and wrap, glue and wrap, glue and wrap. Just keep going. Try to wrap randomly to avoid criss-cross patterns. The more densely wrapped the lamp is the stronger it will be.
5. Make sure to avoid wrapping string over the circle area. If there are any areas that seem weak, you can apply a little extra glue to give it more strength.
6. Repeat the steps 1-5 to make multiple lamps. Let the glue dry completely.
7. Use the inflating needle to deflate the ball.
8. Remove the deflated ball from the lamp.
9. Feed the light fitting through the circle hole of the lamp and up through the top, so that the light bulb will hang down in the centre of the sphere.
Pop onto the Crafty Nest website for more ideas and inspiration.