Herb & Leek Frittata with Smoked Trout or Salmon, Sour Cream and Avocado
Treat your friends and family to this Herb and Leek Frittata with Smoked Trout or Salmon, sour cream and avocado served with Spier The Yellowwood Organic Rosé
Summer days are gone but there are still plenty of opportunities to spend time outdoors in the garden with family and friends. What better way to start off a fun day than with this quick and easy recipe from Spier for a Herb & Leek Frittata with Smoked Trout or Salmon, Sour Cream and Avocado. Yummy!
Pair this delicious snack with a bottle of Spier's Yellowwood Organic Rosé. The perfect accompaniment with this meal you will enjoy the subtle flavours of mulberry, juicy red plum, violets, and just a hint of spice.
For those of you who don't know what a frittata is, it is an egg-based dish that has its origins in Italy. Similar to an omelette. a frittata can be topped with a variety of ingredients such as cheeses, vegetables or charcuterie deli meats.
YOU WILL NEED:
200g - 2 cups leeks, sliced
8 eggs, extra large
20g baby spinach leaves
20g fresh parsley
20g fresh dill to garnish
250g thick sour cream
1 ripe avocado, sliced
100g cold-smoked trout or salmon ribbons
Fresh lemon wedge, to serve
Seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 220°C
- In a medium-sized skillet, melt half the butter and fry the leeks until soft but before it starts to brown.
- Transfer to a blender, adding eggs, spinach, parsley, dill and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Process into a thick, green batter.
- Using the same skillet, add the remaining the butter and melt over high heat. Add the green batter mixture and use a spatula to slowly stir like you would if you were making scrambled eggs. After a minute or two, stop stirring when the mixture starts to thicken slightly but is still runny.
- Place the skillet to the oven, and bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until just set.
- Once the food has cooled to room temperature, then top with sliced avocado, sour cream, and trout or salmon and season to taste. Slice and serve with fresh lemon wedges and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
If you would love to sample the range of
Spier wines, make a visit to pop into the farm
Stellenbosch. All spier wines are available in stores
countrywide and online at shop.spier.co.za