Red velvet ice-cream cake
Top off any special occasion with this red velvet cake with its strawberry ice cream filling and cream cheese frosting with fresh berries. This show-stopping cake is simply heavenly.
YOU WILL NEED:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa, sifted
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pkg strawberry jelly,
3 tsp. high-quality vanilla extract
1 tbs. red food colouring
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 pkg. strawberry ice cream, softened
1 pkg. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups dessicated coconut
1 punnet fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced
1. Heat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour two 20cm round cake pans.
2. In bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
3. In mixer bowl - on medium speed - beat butter, granulated sugar, strawberry jelly, 1 tsp. vanilla extract and food colouring for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low.
4. Beginning and ending with flour mixture, alternatively add flour mixture and buttermilk in 3 stages.
5. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire cooling racks and leave to cool completely.
7. Place 1 cake layer in 20cm springform pan. Spread ice cream over the cake and then place the remaining cake layeron top. Wrap the outside of pan with foil. Cover and freeze or overnight.
8. In bowl of electric mixer on medium speed with whip attachment, beat cream cheese, ocing sugar, remaining vanilla extract and salt for 2 minutes or until creamy. Drizzle in heavy cream and beat for 3 minutes or until firm peaks form.
9. Remove cake from tin and transfer to platter. Coat cake with two-thirds of the frosting. Press coconut onto sides. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Spoon remaining frosting into pastry bag fitted with 10 or 12cm round tip. Pipe rings of decorative dollops onto cake. Arrange strawberry slices between rings. Place in freezer and remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.