Macaroni and cheese
For a healthier option, make macaroni and cheese with low-fat milk and evaporated skim milk, whole-wheat elbow macaroni, and reduced-fat cheeses.
2 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni
1 ½ cups low-fat milk
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 tbsp. Maizena
1 ¾ cups low-fat shredded mozarella
1 ¾ cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
½ tsp. salt
Optional: ½ tsp. mustard powder and dash of cayenne pepper
- In large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In small bowl, take 2 tbsp. of the measured low-fat milk and mix with Maizena until it's dissolved.
- Add remaining low-fat milk and evaporated skim milk to empty pot. Mix in the milk and Maizena and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture bubbles and starts to thicken. Continue cooking and stirring for 1 to 4 minutes until mixture is creamy. Remove from heat and gradually stir in salt, seasonings and cheeses until cheese is melted and uniform.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture, stirring to make sure that all noodles are coated.
- Transfer macaroni and cheese into a large casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 180° C for 20 to 30 minutes, until cheese sauce is bubbly.
- Let the dish stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.