How to make a coconut bakewell tart
225g Today’s short crust pastry
5 tablespoons Sugarbird raspberry jam
140g caster sugar
140g butter softened
3 medium size fresh eggs, beaten
85g Moir’s desiccated coconut
60g Sasko cake flour
1 teaspoon Moir`s almond essence
An extra 30g Moir`s desiccated coconut and icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm flan tin. Prick the base all over with a fork to prevent the pastry from puffing up.
3. Place a piece of baking paper over the pastry and fill with baking weights or dried beans. Bake the pastry blind for approx 4 mins in hot pre-heated oven. Remove the weights or beans and the paper and bake for a further 4 minutes. When the base is light and crisp remove and leave to cool slightly .
4. Spread the pastry base with a layer of raspberry jam.
5. In a mixing bowl cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, then little by little beat in the eggs.
6. Next, fold in the desiccated coconut and flour, then add the almond essence. Spread the mixture over the jam and level off evenly. Finish by sprinkling with a little more coconut.
7. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until the filling has risen and is light golden brown in colour. To test, insert a clean knife or skewer in the centre - this should come out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin. Dust the coconut bakewell with a little icing sugar and serve.