Valentine's Day Treats
These Valentine's Day treats not only look good - they taste good too!
desperate craft wives
These Valentine treats are just perfect for Valentine's Day and you can let the kids make up a batch to give to their sweethearts or their teacher, or make them for mom and dad. The biscuit uses a basic sugar cookie recipe that is almost foolproof!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
Boiled sweets or hard candies, crushed
Heart shaped cookie cutters, small and large
Bamboo or pine skewers
1. Follow the recipe above to make the sugar cookies and chill this in the fridge for a couple of hours.
2. Roll out the cookie dough and then cut out heart shapes using the larger cookie cutter. Use the smaller heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out the inside and remove. If you wish you can bake the mini hearts separately.
3. Place the cut heats on wax paper on a baking tray.
4. Fill the centre of the hearts with crushed sweets and place the skewer underneath the heart, so that it will bake around this.
5. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes at 180° C and then remove from the oven before leaving to cool and for the sweet centres to harden.
GOOD TO KNOW: Use a toothpick to push the melted sweets all the way to the edges if it didn't get there or to pop any air bubbles that may have formed.