Executive Chef Tharwat Londt Shares His Cape Malay Chicken Curry Recipe
There are still some chilly days ahead and Executive Chef Tharwa Londt shares his Cape Malay Chicken Curry recipe.
Chef Tharwat Londt’s Cape Malay Chicken Curry recipe
Park Inn by Radisson, Cape Town, Newlands’, Executive Chef Tharwat Londt, has shared his mouth-watering Cape Malay Chicken Curry recipe to keep you warm in these last few months of Winter. Follow the easy steps below to enjoy the delicious meal in the comfort of your home.
Cape Malay Chicken curry. Serves 4
YOU WILL NEED:
• 1 onion, medium, finely
• 4 tablespoons oil
• 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
• 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes or you can use fresh
• 2 teaspoons fennel, ground or 4 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 tablespoons ginger, fresh, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/2-1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
• 15 cardamom pods (whole pods)
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon garam masala
• 1 400g can whole peeled tomato
• 2 kg chicken pieces
• 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• ½ cup Mrs Balls peach chutney ( any peach chutney will do)
• 2 -3 teaspoons salt
1. Mix all your spices together, and peel and chop the ginger. Put the 10 spices -- from the coriander seeds down to the garam masala -- in a mortar and pestle and mash them together
2. Then heat the oil in a pot, add the onion and ginger over fairly high heat, and stir now and then, for a few minutes. Add the spices you mashed and stir.
3. Stir and fry spices and onion for about 2 minutes. Add the can of chopped tomatoes and stir. Make sure that the heat is high enough that everything bubbles together.
4. Add the chicken pieces, and stir to coat well, keeping heat high until everything is bubbling away.
5. Turn heat way down until it just simmers, put on a lid, and cook for about 20 minutes.
6. Sprinkle over the garlic, sugar, lemon juice, chutney and salt.
7. Simmer with lid at a small angle, for about 15 minutes more.
8. Stir through, taste the sauce, and adjust seasoning to taste.
9. Serve with basmati rice tomato onion sambal roti and poppadum’s.
For more information visit:
E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: +27 (21) 8226500 Directions to Park Inn: 10 Hemlock Road, Newlands, Cape Town