Choosing the right Dremel accessory for your projects
When you buy a Dremel MultiTool you have a wide selection of Dremel accessories to choose from. Here's a quick guide to choosing accessories for your Dremel MultiTool.
After posting the article on Dremel attachments I was asked by readers to feature an article on the different Dremel accessories that can be used with a Dremel MultiTool. When you look at how many accessories can be used with a Dremel MultiTool, this article looks at the ones you will use the most and what you will use them for.
Find a wide selection of Dremel accessories at your local Builders.
Similar to using a scouring pad, abrasive buffs are ideal for buffing and polishing metal, glass, wood and plastic. The flexible pad allows you to work on detailed and irregularly shaped areas.
- Remove wood filler on wood projects easily
- Clean away light rust on metal
- Buff away build up on bronze, copper and silver accessories
- Use for light sanding on detailed items
Whether fitted to a mandrel or EZ SpeedClic system, sanding bands are for rough shaping and smoothing of wood and fiberglass, removing rust from metal surfaces and shaping rubber surfaces.
Sanding bands are available in two sizes: 6.4 and 13mm and sanding grits 60 and 120 for rough and fine sanding. You can use sanding bands for all your smaller or detailed sanding projects.
Sand away imperfections on board, wood and steel
Remove rust from steel and metal
Cleaning and polishing accessories
include felt pads an, brushes that can be used
on steel, aluminium, brass,
silver, gold and plastics.
You can use the felt polishing pads in so many other ways. I have used the polishing point to bring out the detail in projects such as my aluminium crafts. When you purchase a Dremel MultiTool polishing compound and felt polishing pads are usually included as standard accessories.
- Clean and polish metal accessories and fittings with polishing compound
- Great for cleaning and buffing brass knobs and handles with polishing compound or metal polish
- Remove paint from glass panes and metal door handles
- Dip in washing liquid to remove built-up grime from the base of pots & pans and braai grill
Dremel offers a variety of cut-off wheels and cutting bits. The cut-off wheels cut metal, wood and plastic while cutting bits are used with the Dremel cutting guide and cut in any direction.
- Recycle aluminium cans and similar items by being able to cut these into useable sections.
- Cut glass, mosaic and ceramic tiles for renovation projects with Diamond Cutting Wheel.
- Cut PVC, chrome and aluminium pipe to length.
- Use a Wood Cutting Wheel to cut board and wood.
- Use Cut-off Wheels for slicing and cutting in metal, wood and plastic. Cut-off wheels make it easy to cut or slot bolts, screws, sheet metal, thin wood and plastic. The cut-off wheel cuts only along its edge.
Upgrade to the Dremel EZ SpeedClic system for quick change of cutting wheels and other accessories.
There are a wide selection of carving, engraving and routing accessories for various applications. The most commonly used engraving bits are the engraving cutters, which can be used for craft and hobby projects to carve into board and wood or etch on metals.
I regularly use the engraving cutters #106 and #107 for decorative craft projects such as lace eggs.
- Crafts and hobbies that involve detailing into board and wood
- Wood carving
- Engraving on metals
Aluminium Oxide grinding stones can be used on metals, cast iron, welded joints, rivets and rust. These grinding stones are ideal for sharpening, deburring and general purpose grinding of most materials.
- Sharpen tools, garden tools and accessories and remove rust from steel and metal items.
- Remove rust from steel or wrought iron garden furniture.
- Deburr welding joints.
Silicon Carbide grinding stones are soften than aluminium oxide and are designed to grind stone, glass, ceramics, porcelain and non-ferrous metals.
I used a #83322 silicon carbide grinding stone to engrave on glass and stainless steel and you will find plenty of projects using this accessory in the Dremel section.. Click here for instructions on engraving on stainless steel using a silicon carbide grinding stone.
- Use to engrave on a variety of materials for crafts and hobbies.
- Etch permanent designs onto glass, ceramics and perspex.
These are just a few of the accessories that can be used with a Dremel MultiTool. Click here for information on the full range of accessories and their uses.