Paint your home in shades of purple
The paint colours you choose for your walls sets the tone for the decor in a home. If you haven't recently decorated, give your home a new look.
Pretty purple accessories can add a punch of liveliness to any room. Add a hint of this hue to your home decor and liven things up with these items ranging from deep purple to lilac, from plum to lavender!
After you've made the necessary preparations, such as masking trim and skirtings with masking tape, and you've protected your floors and furnishings with a canvas drop cloth, you're ready to get started.
To ensure a successful and safe end result follow these simple steps:
You will need:
Paint brushes in various sizes from small to large
Paint roller and paint tray
Prominent Paints - matt, satin or sheen
Interior crack filler and paint scraper or putty knife
Sea sponge (optional if you need to match existing plaster finish)
ABOVE: You can find decorating inspiration by simply looking at objects in your home. A pair of pretty hydrangea combine a mix of shades ranging from lightest pink to deep lilac.
1. Before painting a room, the simplest way to avoid dripping interior paint on your furnishings and accessories is to clear them out of the way.
2. Cover and protect your floors, furnishings that are too heavy to move safely and any remaining window treatments with a large drop cloth. You can fix the plastic in place with masking tape.
3. Gather all the necessary tools to properly prepare for house painting, including interior crack filler and a paint scraper. There's nothing worse than starting a project, only to find that you're missing something - especially when you are at the top of a ladder!
ABOVE: Mix it up for a trendy colour combination of purple and yellow.
4. Paint will adhere better to clean surfaces, so clean your walls, ceilings, floors and trim thoroughly with Sugar Soap.You can tackle mould or mildew stains with a mixture of 1 part Jik to 4 parts warm water and a scrubbing brush and follow this up with a paint that contains contains fungicides to eliminate future fungal growth.
5. Sanding with 180-grit paper on a sanding block will help the paint adhere to previously painted surfaces that are still in good condition.
6. Remove outlet switchplates, nails, screws and picture hooks. Use your paint scraper to scrape minor nicks and scratches and then fill the openings with interior crack filler. Once dry, sand and repeat until the surface is smooth.
A sea sponge or paint brush is handy for matching filled cracks with existing plaster. Dab or brush lightly on the surface.
7. Seal larger gaps, chips, cracks or dents with quality acrylic sealer, paying special attention to joints where walls meet skirting, trim, windows, floors, ceilings and corners.
8. When your surfaces are ready, determine where masking tape might be beneficial for a clean paint line along skirting and trim, doors and windows, electrical switches and light fixtures.
ABOVE: Combine shades of purple with orange for high-impact decor that is warm and inviting.
9. Selecting the right painting tools is just as important as choosing the paint. Brush up on the best method for applying paint for your project. Did you know that a bristle brush is more versatile than a roller or pad?
Spice up your home decor with the latest range available at Mr Price Home.
If romance, champagne and candlelight are a few of your favourite things, luxuriate in Baroque velvet and lace and add a touch of Parisian charm with gorgeous accessories in silver, white and every shade of purple.