Restore wrought iron
Most homes have some decorative metal, from intricately detailed wrought-iron garden arches and furniture to ornate cast-iron brackets and balustrades. Minor rust repairs, spot priming and coats of paint can disguise small defects, but corrosion under layers of paint can require serious repair with an angle grinder.
1. If you are unable to remove rusted bolts, use an angle grinder and cut-off wheel to cut the rusted bolts holding the slats. Use a pair of vice grips to clamp any loose bolts for safe cutting.
2. Apply paint stripper, cover and leave it for half an hour. Remove top layers using a wire brush dipped in water; repeating to remove all layers.
3. Remove any residual stripper with warm soapy water, leaving the metal to dry.
Clamp the chair ends to scour the remaining paint and flaky rust using an angle grinder fitted with a wire cup brush.
4. Apply Rust-Oleum Stops Rust to turn any remaining rust into stable iron tannate, wiping converter off non-rusted surfaces. Use Alcolin FastSteel epoxy repair; press into any holes and mould to shape.
5. Wipe down with methylated spirits; apply two coats of a rust-proofing primer and a further two coats of enamel top coat. Paint the bolt heads for the new slats with matching paint.
6. At the centre of each new wooden slat drill 8mm holes 30mm from the ends.
Position centre, front and top slats to hold frame then add remaining slats. Add the nuts, check the chair is square then tighten using a ratchet ring spanner.
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust product range:
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Rust Stripper removes even the heaviest rust to leave a clean surface. Apply to metal. Creates a smooth, paintable surface.
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Rust Inhibitor Spray prevents rust without paint. Apply to metal, wood, or masonry. If you wish to paint the surfaces in the future, remove Rust Inhibitor from the surface with solvent such as acetone or mineral spirits prior to painting.
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Rust Reformer instantly converts rust to a non-rusting surface. Apply to rusty metal only. Compatible with most solvent or oil-based paints.
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Rusty Metal Primer Spray stops rust and prevents corrosion. Apply to heavily rusted metal (use Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Clean Metal Primer on clean or lightly rusted metal). Bonds tightly to rust to form a surface top coats can adhere to.
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Rust Releaser loosens up bolts that have been bonded by rust. Use directly on rusted surfaces. Includes a small brush inside the cap for easy application.