Wooden box for Mother's Day
If you prefer to lovingly craft your own gifts for someone special, this wooden box is an easy project to do over a weekend.
You can make a pine box of any size using pine that you will find at your local Builders. The box can be used for trinkets, for stationary, for jewellery, or for treasured memories.
Pine and supplies to make your box
Decor Glass, puffy or craft paint
1. Make the box using pine planks cut to the sizes you want for the box, and glue all the sections together.
2. Secure the lid onto the box with butt hinges.
3. Add a decorative design to the lid with Deco Glass paints, puffy paint, or acrylic craft paint.
4. Choose a nice font for the wording for the lid and print this out. If you prefer, I have included a stencil for the wording that I used for my wood box.
5. Print out the stencil, rub the back with an HB pencil, turn the paper over and place on the lid.
6. Use masking tape to secure the stencil onto the lid and outline the wording with a sharp pencil. Remove the stencil.
7. Place a pyrography tip on your Dremel VersaTip and heat up before outlining your stencilled words.
GOOD TO KNOW: If you haven't done woodburning before, have some scrap wood on hand to practice on. You need to be able to control your strokes to burn the surface of the wood evenly.
GOOD TO KNOW: If you do make a couple of slips, use 180-grit sandpaper to remove these, sanding with the grain of the wood.