Desk becomes a bathroom vanity
Here's a bathroom vanity made from a repurposed desk that is surprisingly easy to make. Apply a new coat of paint, cut a hole for the basin, and your bathroom vanity is ready to install.
Here's a bathroom vanity made from a repurposed desk that is surprisingly easy to make. Apply a new coat of paint, cut a hole for the basin, and your bathroom vanity is ready to install. We used a desk for this project, but you could just as easily convert an old chest of drawers or cabinet from a secondhand store to create a vanity in a style to match your decor.
YOU WILL NEED:
Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2x – White Primer
Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2x – Gloss Ocean Mist
Drop-in bathroom sink
Drill / Driver plus assorted bits
Jigsaw and clean-cut blade
Light sanding sponge
Sanitary sealer and caulking gun
Tape measure and pencil
Work in a well-ventilated area to set up your work space. Put down a drop cloth to protect surrounding items and floors.
1. Take out the drawers to make it easier to Remove all existing hardware from the desk.
2. Before painting, measure and mark to determine the centre to cut out the opening for the basin.
3. Our basin came with a template. Place the template on the top, placing the centre of the template onto the centre you marked and trace this onto the surface. Drill holes in the corners to allow you to insert the jigsaw blade to cut out the opening.
4. Use a light sanding sponge to sand the lower portions of the desk. It isn't necessary to sand the top, as it will not be painted. Wipe the clean to remove all dust.
GOOD TO KNOW: To properly sand, always sand in the direction of the wood grain.
5. It is important to use a primer for this project, especially if painting over raw wood. Shake the primer for approximately one minute after the ball begins to rattle. Then apply the primer onto the entire surface in a steady back and forth pattern - holding the can approximately 30cm from the surface to avoid drips and runs. Allow this to dry.
GOOD TO KNOW: Flip the desk over to protect from overspray. Use masking tape to cover the edge.
6. Shake the can and apply Gloss Ocean Mist onto the lower portion of the desk. Allow the top coat to fully dry for at least 24 hours. After that you can mount the basin in place, install the taps, and connect the plumbing.